Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 30, 2012

West Side Story: 1961


Composer: Leonard Bernstein
Playwright: Arthur Laurents
Adapted from: Romeo and Juliet
Lyricist: Stephen Sondheim
Characters: Schrank, A-rab, Baby John, Maria, Bernardo, Tony, Action, Doc, Anita, Riff, Chino


   Romeo and Juliet. The timeless story about a boy and a girl who fall in love with each other, but are torn apart by their families, who have hated each other since who knows how long ago. You've all heard this story before, so why am I telling this to you? Well, because this kind of plot is timeless within itself, and can be told forever, and whenever. But this, my friends...this is special. And not only that, but I like this film more than any other film adaptation of Romeo and Juliet manufactured by human hands. Let me tell you why.

   West Side Story is an example of how a plot such as this can be adapted to various time periods. Our two families are now Americans and Puerto Ricans. They both hate each other, accept for an American named Tony, and a Puerto Rican named Maria. Maria's brother, Bernardo, and Tony's friend, Riff are the leaders of both groups, and are also the ones that are killed from each side.  And, besides the fact that our Juliet does not die in the end with our Romeo, those are the only changes.  The rest is the same, only updated to fit with the time it was made. But in an adaptation of Romeo And Juliet, the story is not the aspect everyone is looking forward to because almost everyone knows the story, or at least the basic premise.  And this is where West Side Story really shines, because believe it or not, this film is a musical.

 The music in this movie is wonderful!  Composer Leonard Bernstein and Lyricist Sephen Sondheim did a fantastic job creating the songs in West Side Story.  The music is great, and coupled with even better choreography.  But how can simply writing about the music be enough.  So I'll post my top five favorite songs from the film.

#5:  Something's Coming


#4:  Quintet


#3:  America


#2:  Jet's Song



#1:  Cool


  Well, that's my list.  I hope it didn't take up too much space on the review, and try not to take the list too seriously.  It's my own opinion and we're each entitled to one.  I didn't list "Maria", or "Gym Mambo"  because there wasn't enough space, but those are two other scenes that are great.  And this movie was wonderful!  I suppose for me it's a little better because it adds allot of nostalgic value, being that I watched this many times before as a younger person.  But if you haven't seen "West Side Story", go!  Right now!  Go and get it!  Please, by any means, obtain this film.  Watch it!  Put it on your action/item list.  I have not yet heard of a person who has died, and not seen this film.  Don't blame me though, it's not common knowledge people just throw around.

7.8/10

Next Review:  Singin' in the Rain 1952


0 comments:

Post a Comment